From:
[log in to unmask] (Lawrence Boland)
Date:
Pat,

I think John Davis raised the more important challenge to neoclassical
economists who insist on strict methodological individualism. Put in my terms,
the question is, is the neoclassical conception of an autonomous and completely
independent individual realistic? As I have argued, neoclassical economists see
methodological individualism successful only when an argument is reduced to
there being an individual's psychological state as the only allowable exogenous
variable (other than Nature given weather, etc.). Everything else must be
endogenous.

I challenge my students by having them read Ibsen plays, for example, where the
individual is defined by the social situation. Nora in the Doll's House is a
perfect example.

If John's challenge is right (and I think it is), there then remains the key
question. Why do neoclassical economists insist on the extreme version of
methodological individualism?

Lawrence Boland