From:
[log in to unmask] (Richard G. Lipsey)
Date:
Tue May 2 11:45:02 2006
GDP and related concepts are used by governments and private research
agencies to study such macro variables as inflation, employment.,
unemployment and exchange rates. For these purposes, economic theory and
evidence tells us that it is market transactions that matter. If, e.g.,
unpaid workers work more, ceteris paribus, this will not add to inflationary
pressure. But if paid workers work more, earning more income which they
spend, this will add to inflationary pressure.

So if we had it to do again, we would have a measure that was restricted to
the money value (in current and constant dollars) of transactions that flow
through markets, removing e.g., imputed rents for owner occupied housing.
Then we would have, as we do now in many cases, a series of satellite
accounts than measure other things in which we are interested, such as the
market value of household work (not easy to estimate as some of the
exchanges on this topic illustrate), environmental degradation, resource
depletion, etc  But for most things the departments of finance and of
industry do (whatever they are called in various countries), it is the money
value of transactions that flow through markets that is the relevant
variable.

It is essentialist to ask: What is "the" best measure of national income?
What one needs to ask is: What is one interested in? and then design a
measure that best gets at that. GDP tells us the value of what goes through
markets.  Other measures are much better at judging national "welfare" or
living standards and many text books, including my own, make that point in
detail with illustrations such as 'home heating is provided free in hot
countries and so in not included in the GDP (but does contribute to living
standards), while it is costly in cold countries and so is included in the
GDP".

Richard G. Lipsey