From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Tue Mar 27 10:58:03 2007
The Keynesian models fundamentally divorce consumption spending from
investment spending. In the work of the early pioneers of neoclassical
theory (Walras, Jevons, Menger, Clark, Marshall, Pareto), decisions to
invest meant decisions that ultimately led to the production of consumer
goods. Some consumer goods could be produced directly but the vast
majority required the prior production of capital goods. Thus, real
investment typically meant the production of capital goods at one link
in a supply chain with the help of capital goods that had already been
produced at another link in the supply chain that was "farther away"
from the ultimate consumer good. The idea of "investing" without there
being supply chains would have been unthinkable to the general
equilibrium, marginal productivity theorists of the late 19th and early
20th century.

I am amazed when I reflect on the fact that Keynesian macroeconomics is
built on a foundation that almost completely disregards this most
important idea. In this field, the decision to produce capital goods is
completely disconnected from the decision to produce consumption goods.
Similarly, there is virtually no connection between the early general
equilibrium theory of the neoclassicals mentioned above and the later
Keynesian macro. Arguably the most important lesson in economics since
Adam Smith's invisible hand was expunged from the "science" and
generations of "macroeconomics" students were trained as if it had never
existed.

The reason why I object to AD/AS analysis being taught in the principles
classroom and to IS/LM being taught in the intermediate and graduate
texts is that it amounts to a retrogression. To teach this is, to me,
analogous to burning the libraries at Alexandria as opposed to learning
from them. To carry the analogy a step farther, I regard it as part of a
dark age in the history of economics.

Pat Gunning