From:
[log in to unmask] (C S W Torr)
Date:

The discussion on the assumption of complete knowledge or
complete information has concentrated on the contributions of
Marshall and Knight.

Should we not bring Walras into the picture? Walras's Elements
appeared in the 1870s, which predates Marshall's Principles of
1890.

The introduction of the auctioneer can be seen as an implicit way
of introducing perfect knowledge. I do not know if Walras actually
used the term perfect knowledge (or its equivalent) in French. In
other words I do not know if Walras introduced the perfect
knowledge assumption explicitly.

But surely he did so implicitly. The problem that faced Walras was
that the equilibrium price vector needed to be established before
trade was allowed to take place. To prevent the S & D curves from
shifting (before trading commenced), Walras introduced the
auctioneer to establish the equilibrium price vector. From this point
of view, the Walrasian auctioneer can be viewed as the
personification of perfect knowledge.

Edgeworth's recontract assumption can presumably also be viewed
as an implicit way of introducing the perfect knowledge
assumption.

Chris Torr