From:
[log in to unmask] (David Mitch)
Date:
While it seems problematic to come up with a top N set of best sellers in
Economics, there is an extensive body of scholarship one can draw on
regarding the history and economics of publishing that should allow
one to put Henry George in some sort of perspective as a best selling
economics author. Indeed there is a scholarly association, the
Society for the History of Authorship, readership, and publishing
(SHARP) -- or something like that-- that delves into such issues for
publishing broadly.

One consideration is whether publishers, such as George's maintained records
of print runs as well as book prices. Of course there are complications
such as George's works going through multiple editions with multiple
publishers. But looking at evidence on print runs and numbers of printings
for some of George's major works with some of his leading publishers
should at least provide perspective. One can then compare the magnitudes
with what one can glean on other likely leading economics sellers. THere
may be  some evidence out there on numbers of copies sold of
Samuelson's textbook in various editions as well as say Mankiw.

My recollection is that Keynes intended his General Theory believe it or
not to have a wide readership and tried to get it priced by his publisher
accordingly. It should stand to reason that most leading authors of
economics texts would be aware of how their books are selling and there
should be some indications in their biographical details of the magnitude
of the income flows involved.   I don't claim there is
an easy answer to the issue of establishing comparable best sellers to
progress and poverty but it is an issue one should at least be able to
address with due archival digging.   If Victorian literature scholars can
take up this issue for say  Dickens and George Eliot, which I am almost
sure they have, I dont' see  why historians of economics shouldn't be able
to pursue the same for writers such as Henry George.

David Mitch