From:
[log in to unmask] (Barkley Rosser)
Date:
    I was in error about Jenkin.  Erich Streissler in a
series of papers, especially one in HOPE in 1990
has documented the priority of Rau (1841) and other
German neoclassicals, who also preceded the usually
cited Gossen in thinking in terms of marginal utility,
in putting the axes in the Marshallian manner.  Streissler
also documents that Marshall was fully aware of this
literature and strongly suggests that is where he got
the idea from.  I am not sure that I can defend textually
or from other sources the claim that I have heard that
Marshall's motive was his focus on the "corn" market,
which clearly is driven by an exogenous quantity factor.

Barkley Rosser