From:
[log in to unmask] (E. Roy Weintraub)
Date:
Samuel Bostaph wrote:
"What's a "gendered assumption"? Words have genders in some languages,
but I take it that you are not referring to that aspect of language."

Under the assumption that the question is meant seriously, how about the
basic assumption we were taught in our biology classes (those of us of a
certain age) that the spermatozoa penetrates the ovum?

Or closer to "home" (whose?), that economic agents are rational (pace
Shah's comment). Exercise: explicate/characterize aspects of
"rationality" using one word or a short phrase, counterpoising those
words or short phrases to their counterparts/opposites/negations for
"irrationality", in two lists. For each binary opposition, place one in
the "Masculine" column, and one in the "Feminine" column. Discuss your
placement of the one with the other. You have just provided a gendered
account of rationality.

This has, however, been done before. A long time before. Indeed, we
teach elementary/intermediate/advanced Economics courses dealing with
this exact subject, as do most Economics departments. As do Women's
Studies departments, and Literature departments, and English
departments, and Cultural Studies departments, and Modern Language
departments, and Anthropology departments, and Sociology departments,
and Political Science departments, etc.

E. Roy Weintraub