From:
[log in to unmask] (Peter G. Stillman)
Date:
I cannot speak to Becker's article, but, having read the two
critiques that were suggested,  tests I would ask about an article,
book, or argument are:

when the article refers to people, does it refer to men or men and
women interchangeably?

when the article refers to men and women, does it assume that men and
women have the same characteristics (ranging from distribution in the
population to altruism to economic rationality)

My impression from one of the critiques of Becker's argument is that
Becker does not give women and men the same characteristics, ranging
from distribution in the population to altruism to economic
rationality.  Nor does he ask the same questions -- while he talks
about polygamy, he does not talk about its opposite (polyandry?).

If my impression (based on no direct knowledge of Becker's argument)
is correct, then I think that one can say that the article is sexist.

Peter G. Stillman