From:
[log in to unmask] (Laurence Moss)
Date:
Samuel Bostaph said:
I just don't see the relevance of any of this for making progress in
economic theory.  And, I use the word "progress" intentionally.  No doubt
some consider my concept of "theory" anachronistic.  Feel free.

Dear Colleagues,

I tend to agree with Sam's sentiments.  We are united by our interest in
ideas and the insights we gain by following certain lines of investigation rather than
others.  It is not always possible (or desirable) to predict and control. Sometimes all we
get for our efforts is "understanding."

As I look back over the decades of teaching and study, I have come to
understand things better and in more detail.  I have also come to appreciate
Schumpeter's recognition of ideology and its links to social science.  There is
nothing to apologize about because vision is an important motivator and catalyst in the
developement of ideas.

If the flatearth society can explain the locational distribution of
warehouses better than, say, Krugman, then I am interested in what they have to say and
how they say it.  If all the flatearth society does is complain and produce slurs and
insults, about people like Krugman, then I am amused but not
enlightened.

Laurence Moss