From:
[log in to unmask] (Peter G. Stillman)
Date:
Sandra Pearl's post (and her great blog) accurately point up the
dangers of "difference" and how easy it is to move from difference to
inequality (& hierarchy).  Homogeneity is a good counter to these
problems.

But it is also important to see that the imposing of equality on
unequals has its own dangers.  To me, this is most apparent in the
US's valuable but limited 'equality before the law' -- valuable,
because we are in important ways equal (so that, eg, a woman's
testimony is equal to a man's); but also very limited, because
dollars buy good representation.  And, it seems to me, contemporary
economics, like Becker's, is vulnerable to the same sort of criticism.

Peter G. Stillman