From:
[log in to unmask] (Maas, H.B.J.B.)
Date:
Anthony Waterman wrote:
"How can an abstraction (a 'football team') have an 'intent' (which
implies intentionality, and can therefore be properly attributed only to a
rational agent)?"

I am intrigued by the connection Anthony Waterman makes between
intentionality and rationality in relation to individual agency. There
is indeed quite some recent literature in analytical philosophy making
this same connection (one of the most recent being John Searle's
Rationality in Action), and this same connection also figured
prominently in Rosenberg's 1992 book on economics as a science of
diminishing returns.

Historically, intentionality was 'invented' by Franz Brentano, if I am
correct the brother of Lujo Brentano, the German liberal historical
economist, and Max Weber importantly used the term in his criticism of
Roscher and Knies. To my knowledge only with Weber become rationality
and intentionality important terms to characterize economic behaviour.
Both concepts can be traced back, if one likes, to the firm struggles of
19th century Germans with Kant and German Idealism.

One will not find the term intentionality, and I would claim neither the
concept, in the work of any Victorian economist that I know of.
Victorians explained economic behaviour from motives of action -
pleasure and pain in the work of early marginalists, but these motives
were causes of action, that were thought of as forces, not as anything
intentional. Also self-interest was considered a cause of action, rather
than something individuals acted on intentionally, let even rationally -
there is of course nothing rational in self-interest per se. The only
Victorian economist who talks about rationality in relation to economic
behaviour that I know of was not an economist, but an engineer: Fleeming
Jenkins.

The link between intentionality and rationality is the more interesting,
because of concerns of population biologists in the sixties with the use
of game theory that some of them considered too intentionally loaden in
its terminology, and therefore inapplicable to biological species. It is
also interesting because some neuroscientists (like Glimcher) nowadays
ascribe rationality to neurons, something severy criticised by  a
philosopher like Hacker. My question to Antony Waterman would be: do
neurons have intentions? And why would we need intentionality to say
anything about economic behaviour?

Harro Maas