From:
[log in to unmask] (Peter G. Stillman)
Date:
Does anyone know what "T. Violet's pieces' are?   I assume they are a
type of money.  Then I wondered if they were money in the collection
of T. Violet.  Then I wondered if T. Violet is a kind of color.  Then
I thought I'd ask this list.

I am editing a 1768 version of a 1668 pamphlet, Henry Neville's Isle
of Pines.  The 1768 edition added a footnote that reads in its
entirety, and with spacing relatively accurately, as:

        * Queen's Royal Licence]  Queen Elizabeth would not admit the
East India Company, at her first granting them to be a Corporation,
to transport the King of Spain's silver coins into the East Indies,
though the Merchants pressed it often, telling her, that her coin and
stamp were not known in the East Indies, they thinking to get licence
to send thither what silver they pleased.
        This most prudent Queen and her wise privy Council replied,
that for the very reason alledged, to transport the King of Spain's
silver to the East Indies, it was her unalterable resolution, not to
grant the East India Company leave to send the King of Spain's, or
any foreign Prince's coin into India; but such silver, as was coined
with her effigies on the one side, and the Portcullis on the other,
of the just weight and firmness of the Spanish pieces of eight
[Specimens of which sort of money, the half, quarter, eighth of it,
may be seen in the Collections of our Antiquaries]: declaring, that,
all the world over, where she gave her merchants leave to trade, she
would be known to be as great a Prince as the King of Spain, and that
none should presume to send a great quantity of silver to the East
Indies, than she, in her wisdom, should see fit, etc. etc. etc.
T. Violet's pieces.
        Mr. Locke in his Two Treatises of Government, with wonted
judgment and clearness, declares, that Prerogative is nothing but the
Power of doing good without a rule.
        This Power of doing good without a rule apart, the most
splendid prerogative then, with which the Majesty of the British
People hath adorned their Kings, is that of directing, striking the
Public Monies, and stamping thereon their own Effigies, Titles,
Actions, for all ages.
        In what manner it has been conducted since the reign of Queen
Elizabeth, especially of late Times, with what utility, decorum,
elegancy, magnanimity, or otherwise, may, it is possible, on some
future occasion, be considered.

Thanks,

Peter G. Stillman