From:
[log in to unmask] (Lawrence Boland)
Date:
Since nobody seems willing to consider the existing literature on
methodological individualism (MI), let me make the main point about MI
that is central to neoclassical economics: MI simply says that things do
not decide only individuals do. So, if one is to explain any social
event, one must show that the event is the result of decisions made by
individuals. The question is whether or not this precludes consideration
of institutions. That is, do institutions play a role in any
individual's decisions? If one requires any involved institution to also
be explained as the result of individual decisions, this would amount to
a reductionist version of MI. Such a version is not necessary but many
neoclassical economists think that it is. The question is why. As
Anthony suggests, it could be simply a matter of ideology (so-called
ontological individualism). Is there any other reason?

My humble suggestion is that if you are interested in MI you should
follow Arrow's 1994 suggestion and read Chapter 2 in my 1982 book
(Foundations of Economic Method [available free on my web page]) or if
you are rich, read Chapter 2 in the second edition (not on my web page).

Lawrence A. Boland