From:
[log in to unmask] (Ian Wright)
Date:
[Our discussion of Stark has taken us pretty far from the History of Economics, broadly
defined. I trust we can self-censor and keep our remarks within the confines of the HES
list guidelines.  You are always free to directly email someone if you wish to continue
the conversation. HB]

> Well, the Spanish and Italian Inquisitions almost
> totally prevented the witch burnings that took place elsewhere, and the
> whole "persecution of Galileo" is a well-known myth having more to do
> with Galileo's politics than with any desire of the Catholic Church to
> persecute him.

Come now. This is a celebrated example of the incompatability of
scientific method vs. the method of relying on the authority of
"revealed" truth. Galileo got in trouble with an institution that felt
its legitimacy was under threat by this new way of producing
knowledge. And, yes, I do hold the Catholic Church culpable for this
historic crime.

Ian Wright