From:
[log in to unmask] (Sumitra Shah)
Date:
Fri Jun 2 11:40:18 2006
Qouting Mason Gaffney:
>James Ahiakpor dismisses Sandilands, Samuels, and "most" Georgists, because
>they are, he says, "Marxists in disguise".  This is how kids talk on the
>playground in 7th grade - name-calling. Shame on you, James: for this you
>got a Ph.D.?  Please elevate your discourse, or chill.

James Ahiakpor also wrote: "Maybe then they'll quit their persistence in error." I am
floored by this total conviction of the "TRUTH"/correctness of one's position. By the way,
"Marxists in disguise" is not something I would find revolting, just amusing. If only
there were some Marx in all of us. And yes, it is possible; it is not akin to being a
little bit pregnant.

My 4th grade grandson does not engage in name-calling. He realizes that persuasion works
better for him. Adam Smith wrote: the..."principle to persuade which so much prevails in
human nature. When the arguments are offered to persuade, it is always expected that they
should have the proper effect." And, "Since a whole life is spent in the exercise of it
[persuasion], a ready method of bargaining with each other must undoubtedly be attained."
He maintained that to bring the feelings of the different parties to a mutually acceptable
level, it was necessary to 'lower the pitch' to a level others can go along with.

Smith writes in TMS: ..."a certain reserve is necessary when we talk of our own friends,
our own studies, our own professions. All these are objects which we cannot expect should
interest our companions in the same degree in which they interest us. And it is for want
of this reserve, that the one half of mankind make bad company to the other. A philosopher
is company to a philosopher only; the member of a club to his own little knot of
companions."

In economics the groups break down further along the lines of one's own 'school of
economic thought'.  So much for an 'objective' science!

Cheers,

Sumitra Shah