AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Duncan Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duncan Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 13:37:14 -0400
Please excuse cross-postings

Call for Proposals: Sessions and Papers for ACA 2006
ACA 2006 Annual Conference, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador
28 June - 1 July, 2006

"Living on the Edge" - The Place of Archives in the Heritage and Cultural
Community

There are just 3 weeks remaining to the Deadline for Submission of
Proposals: 24 OCTOBER 2005.  Please read on, for information about the
theme, suggestions for sessions and the contact for your submission as well
as any questions.

In a speech in Cape Town, South Africa, on June 7, 1966, Robert F. Kennedy
said, "There is a Chinese curse which says, "May he live in interesting
times." Like it or not, we live in interesting times..." Journalists picked
up the phrase and it has become a commonplace. Archivists can appreciate
this phrase as we ourselves are living in our own "interesting times".  We
have seen and are continuing to see the convergence of our national
institution and other archives around the country with other cultural,
heritage and information organizations. We are also seeing the development
of policies, initiatives and programs that combine the resources of
archives, museums, libraries and others in the real and virtual world.  And
we are being encouraged to work more closely with a variety of other
cultural, heritage and information professionals to create and promote new
and innovative resources.

The Association of Canadian Archivists 2006 Annual Conference Programme
Committee encourages proposals from a wide variety of perspectives on the
issues related to this convergence and that will affect us all as
archivists.  Among the areas the Program Committee hopes to receive
proposals are topics such as:
.	Heritage Policy and other related heritage legislation
.	The convergence of archives, culture and heritage in the digital
world
.	Building new audiences and developing new markets
.	The new heritage, cultural, and information institution
.	Archival, heritage and information education
.	The new heritage/information professional

Please join us next year in St. John's, NL to discuss these and related
topics on how archives and archivists will fit in to this brave new world
that combines heritage, culture and information.

SUBMITTING PROPOSALS:
We encourage individuals to submit fully developed session proposals,
including confirmed participation of the speakers while individual session
presentation proposals are also welcome.  The conference sessions will be
determined based on the proposals received.  Use the electronic form that is
available at www.archivists.ca/conference on the ACA website.   Submitting
your session proposal in electronic form is strongly encouraged.  Please
send session proposals to:
	Michael Moosberger,
	Program Chair, 2006 ACA Conference,
	Room 5104 Killam Library, Dalhousie University, 6225 University
Avenue,
	Halifax, Nova Scotia  CANADA  B3H 4H8
	Tel: (902) 494-5176		FAX: (902)494-2062
	E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Questions concerning the conference program may be directed to the 2006
Program Committee Chair at the address above.