AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
"Henry, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Henry, Paul
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2006 16:13:24 -0400
If the AAO were to remove the Toronto requirement from the Constitution, it would also be required to amend the letters patent. The Corporations Act stipulates that a corporation must locate its head office in Ontario in accordance with its letters patent (277(1)). A corporation may change by special resolution the location of its head office (277(2)) but this change would have to be specific. (i.e. you cannot change from "Toronto" to "Ontario".)

From my time on the Board (and the PDC), we found that having meetings in non-centrally accessible areas was prohibitively expensive. I would think we would want to restrict any future AAO site to as far west as Stratford / London, as far south as Grimsby / Niagara, and as far east as Kingston. Otherwise we will witness the travel budget go through the roof, and participation levels from more far-flung areas of the province decline.

We should also consider the role of the Executive Director in fundraising and advocacy. How would a move out of the provincial core affect the ED's ability to perform these critical functions?

Cheers,
pjh

----
Paul J. Henry, C.A.