From:
Cari Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:37:27 -0300
Hello colleagues and friends,

I'm writing to tell you about the International Association for Community
Development (IACD): http://www.iacdglobal.org <http://www.iacdglobal.org/>
in hopes you may take out a membership, and/or that you may be interested in
some international research projects.

IACD is an international organization based in the UK, and it has recognized
NGO consultative status with the United Nations. It has an international
board, with representatives from each UN region of the globe, and
memberships from individuals and organizations from around the world. IACD's
aims are to:

*	promote community development across international policies and
programs;
*	network and support community development practitioners; and
*	encourage information and practice exchange.

Its strategic priorities from 2004-2007 are:

1.	Supporting community development as a key method of addressing
issues of poverty and exclusion;
2.	Building sustainable peace through community development processes;
3.	Support for rural community development; and
4.	 Promotion of education, training, training standards and support
for activists and paid community workers.

I've recently been elected to the Board of IACD. My hope and intent is to
bring information from IACD to people in Canadian networks, and to keep IACD
well-informed about community development in Canada by drawing on networks
here. Because of its status with the UN, IACD represents one opportunity for
bringing Canadian and global community development considerations to a high
level. We also have the opportunity to link with and learn with people in
all parts of the world doing community development work!

IACD is currently working on two interesting research initiatives. Rural
Re-Sourcing is sponsored by the Carnegie Foundation in the UK. IACD is
collecting stories from around the world about effective asset-based
community development practice, preparing a set of case studies, and drawing
lessons learned and policy and planning implications to be shared with
community development networks and for the Carnegie Foundation to use for
future planning purposes. If you have a story that you would like to have
considered for use, please contact me so we can discuss it. I will be happy
to bring it forward to IACD.

Another international research project, What in the World, is sponsored by
the Esmee Fairbarn Foundation. IACD collected input from thousands of people
in the UK in response to the question: What are the top community
development issues about which you would welcome international input?" The
top issues identified were: environment/sustainable community development;
capacity building and training; refugees and migration; women and children;
and NGO regulation and governance issues. In the current stage of the
project, IACD is collecting case study material from around the world on
these issues, and then using the material to develop workshops with global
effective practices to be delivered to community development networks in the
UK (and possibly beyond).

For more information about these research projects, or about IACD in
general, please take a look at the website: http://www.iacdglobal.org/.
There's a place to download a membership form for anyone who is interested
in joining the organization. The website has some very good resources, so I
encourage you to check it out.

Also, please feel free to contact me with questions, or with anything you
would like me to bring forward directly to the organization.

Very best regards,

Cari Patterson

Cari Patterson, Director

Horizons Community Development Associates Inc.

P.O. Box 2404 Wolfville NS, B4P 2S3

Phone: (902) 582-7940 Fax: (902) 582-1423

E-mail:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] Web:
<http://www.horizonscda.ca> www.horizonscda.ca