From:
[log in to unmask] (Kevin Quinn)
Date:
I'm surprised at how many are willing to grant the premise here, accepting
that HET is simply a "history of error."   Sraffa's study of Ricardo was
essential to his economics.  What he saw was that parts of Ricardo's work -
such as the search for an "absolute measure" of value - could be profitably
read not as terrible answers to the questions modern economists were
asking, but as good answers to different questions altogether, questions
that moderns might benefit form thinking about.  There are alternate
possible rational reconstructions of a thinker's work,  only one of which
is the Whig version. And these alternatives may advance our knowledge of
economics.

Kevin Quinn