From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Thanks, Prabhu, for the history lesson. Perhaps my
brief comment was not clear. Please look again at the
first two paragraphs. I am not an historian but I am
pretty certain that:

(1) There was a substantial time gap between the
beginnning of Christianity and the beginning of Islam.

(2) Unlike the leaders of Christianity, the leaders of
Islam attempted to promote their religion and their
might in a world where the leaders of another very
strong religion had already been successful in doing
this.

It seems to me that using history to judge whether
historical Christianity or historical Islam is more
compatible with capitalism may be a fruitless and
frustrating exercise. More to the point, I think that
to interpret the _facts_ that have been presented on
this list so far, much more _theory_ is required.

Finally, it seems to me that this is at least part of
the message that Jones tried to give about Stark's
book. His first comment was that Stark aimed to
present a mono-causal explanation of the rise of the
west. He also writes in effect that Jones "does not
show that religion as a whole is the prime source of
economic advantage."

Pat Gunning