From:
[log in to unmask] (Polly Cleveland)
Date:
Wed May 17 14:12:44 2006
When I studied real estate appraisal at UC Berkeley many years ago, we
learned that an appraiser should first value the location. How? By taking
sales of nearby vacant or run-down properties and extrapolating. It's
rather like making a contour map of terrain using selected readings on
altitude. Then the appraiser values the whole property from comparables,
assigning the residual value after the land to the structures. I went out
and made a land value map of downtown San Francisco. It wasn't difficult.

Land values are just the capitalized present values of expected rents.

Many cities in Pennsylvania, such as Harrisburg, tax land at higher rates
than buildings. Large areas of Australia and New Zealand rely on pure land
taxes.

George got a lot of things wrong--capital theory especially--but not the
argument for taxes on the value of land. And not just land, but other
rent-generating titles, such as spectrum, taxi medallions, drilling rights,
pollution rights, fishing rights and many more. All these titles have
markets independent of necessary equipment.

Mark Blaug, who originally joined Robert Heilbroner in disparaging George,
more recently changed his mind. (See my article, "Mark Blaug: Edging Toward
Full Appreciation" in Critics of Henry George, Robert Andelson ed,
Blackwell, on my website at
http://www.mcleveland.org/publications/Mark_Blaug.CV.pdf.)

The Austrians and the Georgists should be friends. At Grinnell, Mason
Gaffney will give a paper on "Keeping Land in Capital Theory: Faustmann,
Wicksell and George." Meanwhile, see the paper on his website on "An
Austro-Georgist Synthesis"
http://www.masongaffney.org/workpapers/Causes_of_downturn--Austro-
Georgist_synthesis_1982.pdf

Polly Cleveland