From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Fri May 26 10:08:33 2006
Roger points out that George believed that where there
is entrepreneurial activity, the income should be left
in the hands of the entrepreneur and not be taxed. I
have argued that increases in the value of land is
practically always the result of entrepreneurial
activity and that the notorious �unearned increment�
would be virtually impossible to identify.

I want to deal with the case in which an entrepreneur
buys land at $101, improves it at a cost of $99, and
then sells it for $201. Roger suggests that because
the entrepreneur has increased the land's value, the
increase in value should not be taxed. But he goes on
to say that the land should nevertheless be taxed for
its �annual rental value.� An example of an annual
rental value tax, he says, is $10.

I maintain that any NEW tax is a tax on
entrepreneurship. Who will pay it? The entrepreneur or
the new buyer? Whoever pays it, the tax will be borne
by the entrepreneur. Presumably this would go against
George's wishes. So it would be unacceptable. Thus, if
we follow George's principle, as stated by Roger, we
should not impose a new tax on the annual rental value
of the land in this case. And, of course, we cannot
impose an OLD tax. Either it is already imposed or it
is not. But we cannot impose it.

Roger discusses another case of speculation. I
disagree with his conclusion but I hesitate to go into
that case. I assume that it is not relevant to George.
Did George consider speculative gains? If he did, no
one has yet mentioned this aspect.

Pat Gunning