From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Tue May 30 15:27:29 2006
Larry wrote that "[t]he basic Georgist insight is that
public goods...can be profitably financed in ways that
do not seriously disturb the existing allocation of
resources." And he refers to urban economics texts as
a place where you can find the name "Henry George"
attached to this insight. Too bad for urban economics
which, like television economics, is perhaps yet
another case of too many wings of economics.

As I see it, Larry, this second basic insight is just
as wrong as the first one. Probably more so, since it
employs the policy non-relevant idea of a public good.

The insight you describe assumes that resources
somehow exist without entrepreneurship. The problem of
allocating them is a simple maximization problem. Yet,
in a market economy there would be no resources
without entrepreneurship. Parcels of land would exist,
but they would not be a resource. And no one would
know how to use the land to satisfy wants. One of the
tasks of entrepreneurship is to identify how items
like parcels of land in different places and other
items and actions can be combined and coordinated to
satisfy consumer wants.

Assume that, in a market economy, entrepreneurship has
appraised the land and put the different parcels to
different uses. If parcels of land are taxed,
entrepreneurs will act differently toward land than
otherwise. (Keep in mind that I am talking about a
modern economy. Even primitive peoples know very well
how to use parcels land. But they have no markets and
no entrepreneurship. The �average Jane� in a modern
market economy has practically no idea of the most
economical use of a parcel of land.)

Under these conditions, taxing site values would
affect entrepreneurship in the same way that a tax of
any other kind would affect it. I will grant that the
Georgian tax cannot affect the production of
improvements to land that have already occurred.
Bygones are bygones. I will also grant that such a tax
is an easy way to raise revenue to pay for �public
goods.� But the Georgian tax does affect the
production of NEW improvements. It causes landowners
to build taller and deeper in order to economize on
the use of land. However, extra stories to a building
that are added only because of a land value tax will
not ordinarily be in the interest of consumers. If it
were not for the tax, the city would expand in length
and width, instead of in height and depth.

Of course, the problem is more complicated than one
can describe by referring to only three dimensions.
But this should be sufficient to make my point.

This second insight, it seems to me, is just the first
insight in a different package. The Georgian tax is
still an effort to tax the elusive unearned increment.
Could we say that it is an exercise best studied by
economists in yet another wing of economics,
�advertising economics�?

Pat Gunning