From:
[log in to unmask] (James C.W. Ahiakpor)
Date:
Thu Jun 1 09:39:35 2006
Hi Pat,

I've been paying close attention to the discussion.  I think it would
have ended long ago had you directly pointed out the covetousness of
George's single tax proposal: Roger Sandilands and Warren Samuels
probably wouldn't have made their contributions after that.

I think you are using the definition of entrepreneurship that Cantillon
and most Austrians have employed, but which most people apparently have
not become acquainted with.  (By that definition, the beggar or thief is
an entrepreneur.)  That's why I think they can't see the point of a
landowner being an entrepreneur.  However, I don't think you easily
persuade people to treat landlords the same as all other property owners
because they can always come back with the claim that land is fixed
while other resources are not.  Therefore, landlords are a different breed.

After a while, I just get tired of an interminable debate.  Get people
to realize the essence of an argument.  Maybe then they'll quit their
persistence in error.  (Talking about elasticities would just be another
diversion and a waste of time.)  I'm pretty sure most admirers of
George's single-tax argument don't realize that they are Marxists in
disguise.  When they do, I think they'll quit belonging to that camp.
That's what I'd been waiting for you to do.  I finally had to do it
clearly myself.

Cheers,

James Ahiakpor