From:
[log in to unmask] (Ken Gordon)
Date:
Sat Jun 3 17:19:51 2006
I was recently at a conference addressed by Bob Lucky, former head of
Bell Labs, who often, these days, writes on the tragedy of the
commons as applied to spectrum. His view, arising out of some of his
recent work which I did not get a chance to explore in any detail
with him, would imply that there is no scarcity of spectrum. There
are no limits.

The value of McCaw's licenses is not relevant to the issue. If the
FCC or some other agency has created scarcity by insisting, with the
support of the state,  that people have licenses from them to use
spectrum, then Craig McCaw's licenses would be worth whatever they
were worth. In this circumstance, the FCC is selling, and McCaw is
reselling, what is normally called "protection".

Ken Gordon