From:
[log in to unmask] (Kevin Quinn)
Date:
Thu Jan 4 09:15:25 2007

The Hayek/Bartley  passage on Keynes is, as Alan notes, willful
mis-interpretation.  I just used Jerry Muller's *The Mind and the Market*
as a supplement in my HET course. In an otherwise excellent book, there is
a similarly outrageous mis-characterization of Keynes.  He says that
Keynes was opposed to "deferred gratification" (and offers as evidence
part of the passage critiquing the "purposeful man" in the essays
("Economic Possibilities for our Grandchildren.")  But the purposeful man
in the passage, as would be evident from a full quote, defers
gratification perpetually, for heaven's sake!

Kevin Quinn