From:
[log in to unmask] (John Medaille)
Date:
Tue Feb 6 09:41:31 2007
Mason Gaffney wrote:

>       So I do think we need to temper logic with observation, when making
>policy. It is true, as you state (not quoted above) that some statists and
>other control freaks (including corporate CEO's) use empirical studies to
>manipulate people. Alston Chase's recent book on *Harvard and the Unabomber*
>documents this at chilling length. That is not a sufficient reason, I
>submit, for the rest of us to deny ourselves the benefits of such studies
>for more worthy purposes.

I think there is a big mistake in trying to
confound logic with the whole of reason. Everyone
who acts, acts for a purpose and hence has a
reason for his actions. But to say that the
reason is arrived at by a chain of logical
deductions is inaccurate. Humans act from a
complex of hierarchically ordered desires, and
actions generally appear to each actor as
rational at the time the action is performed but
may appear to another observer, even the same
person at another time, as irrational.

John C. Medaille