From:
[log in to unmask] (Colander, David)
Date:
Tue Mar 13 09:08:11 2007
I'm not sure which was the first text to use it, but Ackley introduced
it in his intermediate macro text in the 1960s.  (I'm sure it was used
earlier, but I don't know when.)  I think what is important is that for
Ackley, and for other economists at the time,  IS/LM was simply another
way of presenting the model--he preferred the equations and the four
quadrant diagram to IS/LM, and he only included a couple of IS/LM
graphs.  I don't think you can see IS/LM as separate from the single
8-equation model of the macro economy that underlay much of thinking in
the 50s and 60s in macro. I discussed the use of IS/LM in my article on
"The Strange Persistence of the IS/LM Model" in HOPE Vol 36, 2004.

Dave Colander