From:
[log in to unmask] (Nicholas J. Theocarakis)
Date:
Tue May 1 15:54:17 2007
Even extreme reductionists and staunch believers in microfoundations resort to
macro analysis, let alone the rest of us. There is nothing wrong with some
extra terminology. I hope the following two quotes from Lewis Carroll and
Thomas Love Peacock will illustrate my point:

'That's a great deal to make one word mean,' Alice said in a thoughtful tone.
'When I make a word do a lot of work like that,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'I always
pay it extra.'
'Oh!' said Alice. She was too much puzzled to make any other remark.
'Ah, you should see 'em come round me of a Saturday night,' Humpty Dumpty went
on, wagging his head gravely from side to side, 'for to get their wages, you
know.'
(Alice didn't venture to ask what he paid them with; so you see I can't tell
you.)

MARIONETTA

I will take it for granted that it is so, Mr Flosky; I am not conversant with
metaphysical subtleties, but--

MR FLOSKY

Subtleties! my dear Miss O'Carroll.  I am sorry to find you participating in
the vulgar error of the reading public, to whom an unusual collocation of
words, involving a juxtaposition of antiperistatical ideas, immediately
suggests the notion of hyperoxysophistical paradoxology.

Nicholas J. Theocarakis