From:
[log in to unmask] (John Medaille)
Date:
Tue May 1 16:23:45 2007
Nicholas J. Theocarakis wrote:
>Even extreme reductionists and staunch believers
>in microfoundations resort to
>macro analysis, let alone the rest of us.

Let me pose a question which is prior to the
question  of when the term is introduced, but
gets to why it was introduced. Is it possible
that the shift in thinking from "political
economy" to the "science" of economics
necessitates some term very like
"macro-economics"? Some may protest the use of
quotes around the term science, but I mean
something very specific. "Political economy"
connotes that idea that an economy is always
embedded with political and social institutions.
"Science," or at least some interpretations of
the term, imply that economics posits truths
which hold regardless of time, place, culture,
and institutions. Once economics became
"scientific" in this sense, did we not then need
some way to re-inject the political order back
into economic analysis, and does not
macro-economics serve as cover to do this? Is it
possible that the term is introduced by lots of
different economists around the same time because it serves the same need?

>MARIONETTA
>
>I will take it for granted that it is so, Mr Flosky; I am not conversant with
>metaphysical subtleties, but--
>
>MR FLOSKY
>
>Subtleties! my dear Miss O'Carroll.  I am sorry to find you participating in
>the vulgar error of the reading public, to whom an unusual collocation of
>words, involving a juxtaposition of antiperistatical ideas, immediately
>suggests the notion of hyperoxysophistical paradoxology.

That's a keeper!

John C. Medaille