From:
[log in to unmask] (Kevin Hoover)
Date:
Tue May 22 10:29:19 2007
Pat Gunning wrote:
"The whole idea of a shock seems a bit weird, doesn't it? Why call a
change in market supply a "shift" and a change in aggregate supply a
"shock?" This language seems more journalistic than scientific."

The thinking, I suspect, goes back to Frisch's "Propagation and Impulse
Problems in Dynamic Economics" (in  /Economic Essays in Honor of Gustav
Cassel/, 1933).  As far as I can tell, the language did not become
widespread until the mid-1970s.  The oldest JSTOR entry for "demand
shock" is Lucas's (1975) "An Equilibrium Model of the Business Cycle"
(JPE) ; and the oldest entry for "supply shock" is Gordon's "Alternative
write as if the terminology is already established.

Pat Gunning wrote:
"By the way, didn't you say that you are writing a macro text? How do
you treat the AD/AS stuff in your text?"

Anyone is welcome to look at my textbook in progress:
http://econ.duke.edu/~kdh9

Kevin Hoover