From:
[log in to unmask] (Tony Brewer)
Date:
Wed May 23 07:47:42 2007
Pat Gunning wrote:
> I don't follow your asset bubble story, Tony. Let's assume that the asset
> is a share of stock. You seem to be saying that an asset bubble can exist
> without the bulls actually buying the asset. Is that what you have in
> mind? If not, where do the bulls get the money to buy it? And where does
> the money go when the bulls become bears? Your story seems incomplete.
> More importantly, now that I think of it, if the asset bubble is merely a
> book entry and not something real, how does its bursting affect aggregate
> demand or aggregate supply?

OK, Pat, let me try to clarify what I obviously explained badly. Consider
shares of stock - existing shares, that is (new issues raise different
questions and are a small part of the market). In any fairly short period
most holdings are not traded. Those that are traded are traded at a price
which equates demand and supply - the money goes from buyer to seller,
bulls match bears at the equilibrium price. No money (saving) is absorbed
or released net - it just changes hands. The price can rise or fall
depending on people's beliefs about future prices and returns. If a bubble
bursts when expectations turn sour it can affect aggregate demand, for
example because individual shareholders who previously regarded their
holdings as sufficient, say for retirement, are now (really) poorer
(individually) in terms of the purchasing power of their holdings, and
decide to cut back on spending. Such an individual need not have intended
to sell the shares immediately - what changes is their expectation of
future prices. That is why it only, in principle, takes a few transactions
to reveal the current price with possibly large effects. Admittedly, new
issues really do (or can) translate real money savings into new investment,
but the terms at which they do so are heavily influenced by transactions in
existing shares.

Tony Brewer