From:
[log in to unmask] (John C. Médaille)
Date:
Tue Aug 14 19:57:30 2007
Barkley Rosser wrote:
>----------------- HES POSTING -----------------
>
>Again, of course, the sorts of "exchanges" one
>sees in such elephant groups can be
>viewed as non-market, much like socially
>determined relations within human family groups.

Everything that humans do has a basis, root, or
analog in the natural world. Humans are, I
believe, supra-natural, but not unnatural, save
by choice and intention. But there is one thing
that humans can do, and perhaps should do, that
animals cannot. They can ask of any given trade,
"Is this right?" Not merely, mind you, "Is this
advantageous?" but "is it right?" Animals do
things for the common good that may be
disadvantageous to an individual; the nurse
spider sacrifices herself for her young, for
example. But I doubt she can question the trade or avoid the sacrifice.

Alasdair MacIntyre defines humans as "dependent,
rational animals." Because we are animals, we are
intimately connected with the natural order;
because we are dependent, we must fulfill our
needs in community (including a community with
the natural order); and because we are rational, we can choose what we "need."

John C. M?daille