From:
[log in to unmask] (Albert Himoe)
Date:
Wed Jun 28 09:48:40 2006

Economics writer and popularizer William T Foster, in the course of
discussing his extensive public speaking career, weighed in with his view of
Henry George and his disciples. This was probably written in the late 1940s.
It is from the Lee (his daughter) manuscript of his autobiography in the
Reed College Special Collections.

[Foster on George's disciples]
Most forum questions, however, are old ones. One in particular I see coming
a long way off. One noon at the Hungry Club in Pittsburgh - the liveliest
luncheon club I have met - a man arose and began an apparently pointless
question. I stopped him short. "Excuse me," I said, "but I think I see your
question. You wish to ask whether all those ills would not be cured by the
single tax."

[Foster's view of Henry George]
As an elector of the Hall of Fame during the past thirty years I have
received hundreds of letters asking me to vote for Henry George. One of them
came form my esteemed teacher, John Dewey. I could not vote as he asked me
to vote. I am convinced that "Progress and Poverty," which vividly describes
the economic ills which we still stupidly suffer, has done harm for the
Single Tax has no chance of supplanting our present awful mess of taxes, and
there are thousands of men who but for Henry George might be working for a
feasible way out.

Albert Himoe