From:
[log in to unmask] (James Ahiakpor)
Date:
Thu Jun 29 08:17:20 2006
Mason Gaffney wrote:

"A weakness in some of the postings herein, thus far, has been casual
empiricism run riot.  In a scatter of points you can always find pairs
that, taken separately, run against the regression line derived from the
whole scatter, and James has done that (so, perhaps, have some of his
antagonists, but I just read James recently).  Miller looks at the whole
data set in England."

I'd like to refer Mason back to reading all of the posts on income
inequality and growth to learn what he appears to me to be missing.  How
can he tell the "weakness in some of the postings" when he says he just
read mine [James's] recently?  Secondly, I was using data for the world
published in Meier and Rauch, Leading Issues in Economic Development
(2005) and World Development Report (2003) to argue my points.  I don't
think "the whole data set in England" is a good substitute for the world
data from the above two sources.  Thirdly, I have been a student of
development economics and studied the data long enough, not to be unduly
impressed by what an "Epidemiologist in high standing" writes in the
Lancet.  Lastly, I think Mason will be more helpful to this discussion
if he studied the data and offered a reasoned explanation or argument in
support of his viewpoint than what he has so far done.

James Ahiakpor