Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:18:43 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (David Mitch)
One direct borrowing I believe from Knight's The economic organization was
Roger Weiss' book which as I recall was titled The Economic System.

Like Knight's book, Weiss' book was written I believe for the lower level
undergrad social science courses in the College at U. of Chicago. As I
recall, Weiss says in his preface something to the effect that anyone
reading his book will see that his debt to Knight's The Economic
Organization is large. My own recollection of perusing  the two books
suggested that  Weiss was not being unfair to himself with this comment.
Weiss taught in the College in the 1960's, 1970's and perhaps into the
1980's.

I do have  copy of the 1951 edition with dust jacket. As Ross is probably
aware, the 1951 edition on the copyright page actually lists the copyright
dates as 1933 and 1951 with Frank Knight holding the copyright for both
dates. The back of the dust jacket just lists a number of other A.M. Kelley
titles. The back inside fold of the dust jacket just lists a Kelley reprint
of the second edition of Malthus' Principles of Political Economy. The
front inside fold of the dust jacket gives the Hayek quote that Ross
mentions and nothing else.

The Hayek quote in full is: "There can be few contemporary works on
economics which, without ever having been regularly published, have
achieved such wide circulation and fame as Frank H. Knight's The Economic
Organization. For nearly a generation the various typed and mimeographed
editions have been extensively used and drawn up. It is really to be
welcomed that this influential essay is now at last made available in
permanent form."

Incidentally, when I was an undergraduate at Chicago, I was assigned a
paperback edition of the Economic Organization; as I recall it was a Harper
Torchbook edition (you might try looking at the National Union Catalogue to
look for library holdings of subsequent reprints of this book after 1951).
I think I still have it somewhere, but can't immediately find it. I am not
sure if this would have any additional comments either on the back or in a
preface regarding the book. I took the course in question  in the fall
quarter of 1970, so apparently the book was available in paperback edition
then. The course was NOT an economics or social science course but that is
probably another story.

Since my understanding was that Knight wrote this book for use in the
undergraduate college at Chicago, looking more at curriculum materials for
the College from the 1930's on might reveal more about the genesis of the
book and its immediate use in College the curriculum. But Ross may well
have already explored this line of approach.

David Mitch