From:
[log in to unmask] (Greg Ransom)
Date:
I respectfully request that Roy document any such
threats published on the Hayek-L list.  I have complete
confidence that he cannot do so.  If any Hayek-L
list members have threatened Roy or anyone else privately,
I respectfully ask that Roy inform me of the names of
these individuals, and I can assure you that they will no
longer be Hayek-L subscribers.

The Hayek-L list has around 500 list members from all over the
world, and from departments across the academy.  It also has a
very diverse "stew" of list members in terms of politics & ideas,
from all over the intellectual map.  Discussions from these
many & diverse perceptive are published on the list every
day.  The two things which are not allowed on the list
are racism and character assassination based on falsehoods
and misinformation.  I would suggest that Roy is trading
in the later, and is making use of the HES list for this purpose.

To repeat.  The Hayek-L list is an open forum welcoming
folks from all over the political landscape -- and always has
been.  It is a list for academics, focused on academics.
People from all over the political landscape are welcomed and
often invited to post book reviews on the Hayek-L list or
to conduct seminars on the Hayek-L list.  Anyone on the HES who
has a recent or forthcoming Hayek-related book or article,
who'd like to do a seminar on the Hayek-L list is invited to
do so.  I can assure you that guests on Hayek-L are treated with
the respect and civility -- and I have often been reminded and
assured of this by those who have participated on the list as
seminar hosts.  I can assure Roy that he would be just as welcome
and just as well treated.

And very specifically, racists, haters, bookburners, terrorists and
the like are not welcome and do not have a forum on Hayek-L.  (I find
it rather sad and even more that a bit pathetic that this must be
said, in light of Roy's comments below).

Respectfully,

Greg Ransom
editor, hayek-l