From:
[log in to unmask] (Laurence S. Moss)
Date:
For those interested in Schumpeter's TED and the differences between the
original edition published in German in 1911 (not 1912 !) and the English
edition of 1934 (which was based on the 1926 German edition which itself
differed significantly from the 1911 German edition) you need only reach no
further than the April 2002 issue of The American Journal of Economics and
Sociology.

The main differences as far as I can tell, had to so with the sociology
which was deleted from the book perhaps to please the non-imperalist
economists who were in the 1930s interested sharply distinguishing "modern
economics" from "sociology."   That story still remains to be told and we
are planning a Talcott Parsons issue for 2005.

Today, the movement is in reverse: that is we are trying to restore
something called "institutional economics" to greater stature or even
something called "economic sociology" as a new field of research in
sociology.  With the movement in reverse there is naturally great interest
in the famous chapters (especially Chapter 2) that Schumpeter left out of
the 1926 edition.

Toward a clarification of these matters, the AJES commissioned the research
team of Markus C. Becker and Thorbjorn Knudsen to prepare an essay
"Schumpeter 1911: Farsighted Visions on Economic Development" that appeared
in the AJES 61:2 (April 2002): 377 - 403.  The research team also supplied
a first-rate translation of the major parts of chapter 2 of the original
1911 edition that did not make it into the 1926 edition which in turn were
not part of the translated 1934 edition.

There are quite a few economic thought articles in each volume of the AJES
and I urge my fellow historians to take a look at the good work my
editorial board is doing promoting research in this area.  We are not
supposed to advertise so I shall not say anything more here.

Laurence S. Moss