From:
[log in to unmask] (Prof.Waren Young)
Date:
In the Treatise, Maynard used E for Income; by Michaelmas 1933, he had
shifted his usage to Y (see Rymes, Keynes's Lectures, 1932-35). As for
where
Hicks got I from, see Young, Interpreting Mr Keynes, where Hicks tells
Meade
on 6 Sept. 1936 (letter to Meade),that he is using Meade's notation (I for
Nominal Income), Harrod's equations, and will pull his [CC-LL ]diagram out
of a hat. In his diagram, reproduced from Arthur Brown's conference notes
in
Young, Hicks indeed has I on the horizontal axis, to be consistent with
Meade's notation, as he said in his letter to Meade.

Warren Young