From:
[log in to unmask] (Tony Brewer)
Date:
Michael Perelman wrote
Why would the study of economics ignore the constraints and the
production of constraints?

But surely it doesn't and never has. All choice, always, is subject to
constraints. In (modern) mainstream economics all of the action is in the
constraints - if the price of something changes, we respond by substituting
(or not, as the case may be) because the price change has changed the slope
and position of the budget constraint. And so on.

I find the whole discussion rather odd. As historians of economics (this is
the HES list, after all) shouldn't we be thinking about the different ways
people have (explicitly or implicitly) defined the subject, the methods of
analysis they have used, and so on, rather than searching for some sort of
Platonic ideal which is the true definition of economics?

Tony Brewer