From:
[log in to unmask] (James C.W. Ahiakpor)
Date:
Fred Carstensen writes:"Perhaps we ought to ban 'rationality' from the
vocabulary of economics; it misleads because it implies something that
it does not."

This reminds me of Joseph Schumpeter's and F.A. Hayek's
call for banning the term "capital" from "scientific usage" because they
had trouble with its usage in the classical tradition to mean "funds"
accumulated out of savings -- in the theory of interest.  It may well be
that psychologists use the term rationality differently from economists,
the former meaning reasonableness of behavior.  But economists use the
term rationality to mean purposive behavior.  Thus, as Robert Leeson has
explained, the suicide bomber acts rationally, i.e., purposively --
maximizing a different sort of utility function than most other people.

The failure to apply the economic meaning of rationality often leads to
bad or poor analysis of other people's behavior (choices).  Gunnar
Myrdal, for example, argued against the applicability of "Western"
economics to people of the Third World because it employs utility
maximization or rational choice.  This because from his travels in Asia,
he found some starving Hindus who wouldn't eat a cow to stave off death.

But a Hindu, who believes s/he has a soul and which would suffer eternal
damnation from eating cow meat, is acting rationally: to enjoy eternal
salvation.  What a poor trade it would be to extend one's life for
perhaps two more weeks or even a year at the expense of eternal
suffering of the soul -- according to the individual's belief?

When we start off from the premise that people act rationally --
purposively, not reasonably from our own points of view -- we are more
inclined to study or try to understand why they do what they do.  (Doug
Mackenzie's post on this is quite helpful.)  We are then in a better
position to offer alternatives to them so they might change their life's
choices, aka, behavior, rather than impose our preferences on them.  The
latter attitude is what leads to dictatorships.

On this issue I am very much instructed by Alfred Marshall's
(Principles, Bk 1, Ch. 2) explanation of what economics is about.  I
might also add that Ayllon and Azrin (1965) found rational behavior --
consistency of choice -- among patients in a mental asylum, which they
published in the Journal of Experimental Analysis of Behavior.  I have
difficulty believing that some economists have a problem with
rationality in economic analysis.

James Ahiakpor