From:
[log in to unmask] (Mohammad Gani)
Date:

   Walker Yankee Scientist

   I am trying to write an article on Amasa Walker (1799-1875). I will much
   appreciate if anybody can help with anything about his work. Please send
   your input to [1][log in to unmask]

   Walkers  Science  of  Wealth  (1865) seems to be to have been a clear,
   consistent, complete and compact exposition of what economics was supposed
   to be: the science of exchange as per Whately (1832). Walker wrote in the
   1866 edition of Science of Wealth:  Exchange is that agency which brings a
   man what he wants for what he does not want, which furnishes gratification
   for his desires out of objects which are adapted to gratify few or none of
   his desires.  (Page 77).  He thinks that its office is the creation and
   apportionment  of wealth.  (Page 78). He stated: The whole interest of
   commerce  is  now the inalienable ally of peace. It has not been found
   sufficient, thus far, to prevent all wars. But it enters into negotiations,
   tempers grievances, and delays violence.  (Page 84). The implications of
   these statements stab at the heart of the dereliction of the mainstream.

   My thesis is that this Yankee Scientist remains the last great genuine
   scientist of [exchange-based] wealth, and our job is to start from where he
   left it. We need to rescue economics from the crippling attack on it that
   came shortly after Walkers book was published. Europe fell into the traps of
   the trivial matter of allocation of existing wealth under the intoxicating
   lure of Game Boy like child-play of optimization.  Jevons, Walras and Pareto
   destroyed economic science and degraded it into a chapter of biology where
   an isolated mouse-like man equates his production with his consumption of n
   different things, and never does anything involving exchange. The Walrasian
   model has absolutely no exchange: no buying, no selling, no intermediation,
   no  entrepreneurship,  no  payment,  no  money, no institutions and no
   evolution.  The micro-macro incompatibility and the divorce between trade
   and money happened in Europe, especially as Marshall began the indiscipline
   of partial equilibrium analysis that disintegrated economics into a shouting
   match between incompletely formed incompatible compartments. Walker once
   shone  brightly at Harvard, but his departure plunged Harvard in utter
   darkness while Marshalls disciples erected a temple in Chicago to ruin
   economics beyond salvage.

   Sadly, the subjectivist (Austrian School) tradition lacked formal modeling
   skills to carry on a fruitful study of exchange by the entrepreneurial
   pursuits verbally narrated by Menger, Mises and Kirzner, frequently falling
   into semantic traps.

   I am not accusing Walker of using rigorous formal models, but he surely is
   the only author known to me who provided a complete description of indirect
   exchange, which should occupy 99% of economic analysis. I am certain that
   Smith, Say, Ricardo, Marx, Mill and Jevons did not understand indirect
   exchange  and hence were very unclear about the nature of exchange and
   consequently the role of money in market clearing.  The entire misadventure
   of macroeconomics of Say, Keynes, Friedman and Lucas could be thrown away
   without any loss if we just read Walker attentively.  We need economic
   science, not micro or macro; we need neither trade without money nor money
   without  trade.   Walker can get us started with clarity, consistency,
   completeness and compactness.

   Mohammad Gani