From:
[log in to unmask] (Steven Horwitz)
Date:
Jesse Vorst wrote:
> Sumitra refers to Wikipedia. Social scientists should be aware of the
> "openness" of this so-called encyclopedia. I keep finding  factual
> errors and editorialised histories in my students' papers for which
> they gave W. as the source. My latest course outline requires
> corroborating evidence to accompany references to Wikipedia entries.

It would be an interesting follow-up assignment to ask your students to
corroborate, and then have them go in and make the appropriate
corrections themselves.  That, after all, is the beauty of Wikipedia.
In fact, it would make a great research assignment for an undergrad HET
class to have them pick the Wikipedia entry of a famous economist and
use other sources to determine just how accurate the entry is, and then,
after consultation with the instructor, make the appropriate changes
themselves.

One of the most educational things one can do for undergraduates who
rely heavily on Wikipedia is to find an electronic classroom, open a
Wikipedia entry on a subject you know nothing about and proceed to make
changes to it right there in front of the class.  That's when they
really realize how a wiki works and what is both wonderful and dangerous
about it.

> The widespread lack of W's reliability was, again, illustrated a few
> days ago when U.S. Congressional staff was found to have changed
> biographies of  their political masters. Disinformation for the masses
> (or whatever Orwell called it)?

Maybe so, but unlike the world of 1984, wikis are open so that such
tactics can be discovered, publicized, and corrected as you have shown
here.  Wikipedia has its problems, but it also has built-in correction
mechanisms as well.  Those of us who understand markets should recognize
the parallels.

Steve Horwitz