From:
[log in to unmask] (Humberto Barreto)
Date:
Peter G. Stillman said:
> And I think his differentiation between elite education and popular education
> seems on the surface to be sensible. But I wonder how accurate his conclusions
> are.

This made me think of a different way to slice education, not between rich and
poor, but by gender. David Landes points out in _The Wealth and Poverty of
Nations_ that "The economic implications of gender discrimination are most
serious. To deny women is to deprive a country of labor and talent, but--even
worse--to undermine the drive to achievement of boys and men." (footnotes omitted,
p. 412.)  Landes hammers Islam pretty hard on this point.  You can add Easterly,
Sen, and many others who have noticed that extreme gender discrimination is an
albatross re economic development. Adam Smith (and maybe Stark?) did not notice this.

Humberto Barreto