From:
[log in to unmask] (Roger Sandilands)
Date:
Thu Jun 15 11:38:53 2006
I'm sorry to have made James's jaw drop at my claim regarding business
savings and investment. Note that I included business depreciation
accounts (over $900bn in 2003 -- see US Dept of Commerce, BEA, Table
5.1, line 13; this table is more informative than the one given by Alan
Isaac today.) Household saving is mostly absorbed in residential
investment.

I edited an article by Lauchlin Currie on this subject, published
posthumously in HOPE, 29:3 (1997), "Implications of an Endogenous Theory
of Growth in Allyn Young's Macroeconomic Concept of Increasing Returns"
(incidentally, David Warsh should read this), in which there is a chart
(p.424, Figure 2) that shows business savings (including "Savings
arising from depreciation accounts") exceeding business investment for
all but two years during 1959-92.

If these figures are correct, Currie was right to say (in this context)
that "the sale price of output is sufficient to cover the gross and net
investment of business". The rest of these sale prices will cover the
other costs of the business sector as a whole, without the need for a
"wages fund".

Isn't it the same as with the pensions debate? The individual is
recommended to accumulate a fund out of which he hopes her pension will
be paid eventually, but today's pensions are paid out of current (not
past) national income (which is usually increasing), not from any fixed
fund.

Roger Sandilands