From:
[log in to unmask] (David Mitch)
Date:
Thu Jun 29 14:46:12 2006
One feature of the Cannan edition of WON (which for example
is the one issued by U.of Chicago Press in 1976 with intro by Stigler)
worthy of note I think in considering assigning for class readings is
the set of margin summary comments accompanying each paragraph. I have
found in using the WON for a first year seminar that students tend to
appreciate the margin summaries in the Cannan edition and find that it
makes Smith's long sentence and paragraph structure easier to deal with.
However, I have had  some students indicate that they found the summaries
a distraction and possibly biased their reading of the actual text. So
there are pros and cons to this feature. On balance in the future, I would
probably be inclined to continue with the Cannan edition due its margin
summaries.

David Mitch