From:
[log in to unmask] (Steven Horwitz)
Date:
Mon Feb 25 08:19:00 2008
HESers,

I don't think I've ever seen these questions addressed anywhere, but I'm
happy to be pointed to an obvious source I've missed.

Given that both psychology and sociology have their own standard
citation style systems, it's interesting that economics does not.  This
raises some questions:

1. Has there ever been a move by the AEA to create one?  If so, what
happened?

2. Has anyone compiled any survey data on which kinds of styles
economics journals use?  What about what PhD programs demand in
dissertations?

3. Has anyone speculated as to why economics does not have one?  I could
hazard a few guesses, and my Hayekian instincts keep whispering
something about the power of competition and the benefits of unplanned
orders, but I wonder whether there's ever been any systematic look at
this question.

Thanks in advance.

Steven Horwitz