From:
[log in to unmask] (Alan G Isaac)
Date:
Sat Jun 21 10:52:33 2008
Michael Perelman wrote:
> intellectual property is an abomination in its present
> form.  Libertarians used to oppose it as monopoly.  What
> happened to contemporary Libertarians?

My sense is that modern libertarians oppose patents but
support copyright.  I am thinking of Rothbard
(e.g., <URL:http://www.ccsindia.org/lacs/7patents_copyrights.pdf>)
but in the software arena I suppose one might also think of
the higher profile Richard Stallman.

That does not answer the crucial questions: what is covered
by copyright, and how long does copyright last?  I assume
Rothbard would construe copyright narrowly and then make it
permanent, but I cannot cite evidence for that.

In the US, both copyright and patents have a clear
constitutional justification: Congress has the right to
create copy rights and patent rights to the extent that this
promotes "progress"
<URL:http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#A1Sec8>

It may seem obvious to an economist that Congress has
exceeded this constitutional mandate in the copyright area,
but recall that Lessig lost his argument in front of the
SCOTUS by a brutal 7-2.

One thing that keeps this all a mess is that in 1790
Congress passed a copyright law which applied retroactively.
This has been interpreted to say that the founders did not
believe copyright extensions to violate the "limited times"
requirement. From a modern economist's perspective, there is
retroactive application raises problems for the progress
justification as well.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac