SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Steve Cummins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 15:59:53 +0100
Thanks John for a very clear explanation. This is precisely why I
mentioned obesity at the 'population' level. I had no wish to conflate a
population level perspective with an individual one. Then the following
posting made me wonder if supermodels could illustrate the difference
between the two perspectives?

I wonder if an individual supermodel has a genetic pre-disposition to
lean body-mass (along with, say, above-average height) and is therefore
selected to be a member of the group 'supermodels' on the basis of this
biological trait.

I have always taken with a pinch of salt interviews with supermodels and
other celebrities (of which I am, of course, an avid reader) stating
that they eat whatever they want. However if they are telling the truth
then there may be one 'individual-level' reason why they remain
thin/underweight while the 'population' slowly gets fatter..

PS

This is from a JAMA study of 195,000 individuals in the US BRFSS. Those
with a BMI above 40, as a group/population, are 7.37 times more likely
to have diabetes than those with a BMI under 40.

===

Prevalence of Obesity, Diabetes, and Obesity-Related Health Risk
Factors, 2001

Ali H. Mokdad, PhD; Earl S. Ford, MD, MPH; Barbara A. Bowman, PhD;
William H. Dietz, MD, PhD; Frank Vinicor, MD, MPH; Virginia S. Bales,
MPH; James S. Marks, MD, MPH

JAMA. 2003;289:76-79.

'The prevalence of those diagnosed with diabetes increased to 7.9% in
2001 from 7.3% in 2000, an increase of 8.2% and an increase of 61% since
1990 (1990 prevalence, 4.9%). Thus, in 2001, an estimated 16.7 million
US adults could have been diagnosed as having diabetes (6.9 million men;
9.8 million women). In 2001, 3.4% of US adults (2.9% men, 3.8% women)
were both obese and had diabetes, an increase of 1.4% in 1991. Blacks
had the highest rate of diagnosed diabetes (11.2%) among all race
groups, and adults with less than a high school education had the
highest rate (13.0%) among the educational levels. Of US adults aged 60
years or older, 15.1% had diagnosed diabetes. Alabama had the highest
rate of diagnosed diabetes (10.5%) and Minnesota the lowest (5.0%; Table
2, Figure 1, B).

Both overweight and obesity were significantly associated with diabetes,
high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, asthma, arthritis, and
fair or poor health status (Table 3). Compared with adults with normal
weight, those with a BMI of 40 or higher had an OR of 7.37 (95% CI,
6.39-8.50) for diagnosed diabetes, 6.38 (95% CI, 5.67-7.17) for high
blood pressure, 1.88 (95% CI, 1.67-2.13) for high cholesterol levels,
2.72 (95% CI, 2.38-3.12) for asthma, 4.41 (95% CI, 3.91-4.97) for
arthritis, and 4.19 (95% CI, 3.68-4.76) for fair or poor health.'