From:
[log in to unmask] (Peter G. Stillman)
Date:
Wed Sep 27 13:58:49 2006
As a non-economist, I always worry about writing to this list.  But I
am struck by Diana Weinert's request about the "vast spontaneous
order."  She lists as one example Adam Smith's woolen coat.
But doesn't Adam Smith's pin factory suggest that at work also in the
modern economy is a vast hierarchical command system (even if some
portions may have been discovered  spontaneously from local
knowledge)?

I have nothing against studying the "vast spontaneous order."
(Well, I probably do, because *I*, unlike Diana, think it has been
vastly over-studied, to the exclusion of other forms of ordering at
work in the economy.)

But I kind of think it would be also interesting to study the vast
hierarchical command order embedded in the modern economy.

Peter G. Stillman